Emergency Loan Fund

The FSAP Emergency Loan Fund (ELF) is available to assist faculty and staff who are experiencing a personal financial emergency and have exhausted all other avenues of support. A loan of up to $1,500 can be provided to a legitimate creditor to pay for rent/mortgage, utilities, car repairs, funeral expenses, etc. Employees have up to six months to repay the loan.

Emergency Loan Fund FAQ's

Who Is Eligible to Receive a Loan?

  • All active full-time and part-time faculty and staff are eligible provided that they:
  • are in good standing;
  • have a minimum of six months or more successful employment
  • have a personal emergency as defined by the FSAP-ELF policy guidelines;
  • can provide evidence that all other avenues of assistance have been pursued;
  • show an ability to pay back the loan;
  • are willing to consider the recommendations of an FSAP Counselor to utilize other financial resources and/or financial counseling services; and
  • have paid back all previous ELF loans for one year, and any other departmental loans.
  • loan recipients who paid off a previous loan through the State Central Collections Unit (SCCU) are not eligible for another loan.

What types of Financial Crises are Appropriate for an Emergency Loan?

The fund is designed to address unexpected financial emergencies. Examples are:

  • a death in the family where an employee must travel some distance to attend the funeral;
  • emergency health care that cannot be initiated without pre-payment;
  • emergency automobile repair when the employee has no other means to get to work; or
  • an impending eviction due to rent not being paid.

How are Loans Repaid?

Loans must be repaid directly to the Bursar every pay period. The employee has to provide a checking account and routing number so that the repayment amounts can be taken directly from their checking account every pay period. No checks or money orders have to be sent, as this will be an automatic deduction. Any delinquent payments are eventually turned over to the State Central Collections Unit and assessed an additional 17% fee. The university is allowed to garnish a paycheck to satisfy the debt, so it is important to be certain that the loan can be repaid.

How Does One Apply for a Loan?

There are several ways to do this. You can come by the Health Center to pick up an application. Or you can see the APPLICATIONJust print the form and fill in the appropriate sections. Then call either Joan Bellsey (301) 314-8099 or Tom Ruggieri (301) 314-8170 to set up an appointment to review the form. When money is available and all criteria are met, loans can usually be provided within 48 hours.


How Confidential is the Loan Application Process?

Because the check is issued by the University and repayments are collected by the Bursar's Office, it is impossible to make the entire process totally confidential, however, every effort is made to preserve an individual's confidentiality.

How Can I Contribute to the ELF?


Contributions can be made by sending a check made out to the FSAP Emergency Loan Fund and you can put this account number in the Memo section: 21-20721.  Checks can be sent to:

Angelica I. Guizado,

Associate Director of Gift Acceptance

Office of Gift Acceptance

4603 Calvert Road College Park, MD 20740-3421

Phone: 301-955-1274


Any questions about donations can be addressed to Angelica Guizado at (301) 955-1280 or aguizado@umd.edu.  Another way to make a significant contribution is to support the fund by word of mouth, talking about it amongst your colleagues, coworkers, family, and friends.

Gifts in support of the University of Maryland are accepted and managed by the University of Maryland College Park Foundation, Inc., an affiliated 501(c)(30) organization authorized by the Board of Regents. Contributions to the University of Maryland are tax-deductible as allowed by law. Please see your tax advisor for details.