The Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
The American College Health Association notes that “SHIPs are an outstanding value for students due to robust and broad coverage, often at half the cost of comparable employee plans… SHIPs are uniquely designed for the lifestyles of college students. Specifically, SHIP coverage accounts for the mobility of the student patient population by remaining in place while a student engages in student travel or during anticipated breaks in the academic year.”
About the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
The University of Maryland SHIP insurance plan is a platinum level insurance plan. Beginning August 1st 2022, SHIP coverage will be provided by Aetna.
SHIP covers most services at the Health Center. When utilizing the Health Center, SHIP patients do not have deductibles and no fee is required for covered services.
For information about the SHIP plan (Aetna), please call 1-855-850-4303 or visit https://umd.myahpcare.com/.
Who can Purchase SHIP?
Who can Purchase SHIP?
Those who can purchase SHIP are:
- Undergraduate students with 6 or more credits at enrollment time.
- Graduate students with 1 or more credits at enrollment time.
- Visiting scholars with documentation from ISSS (International Student and Scholar Services).
- Students that do not have adequate health insurance coverage must purchase SHIP.
Who is eligible to complete the waiver?
Who can do the waiver?
Each academic year, the University requires that the following students enrolled in 6 or more credits in the Fall, either enroll or waive SHIP:
- Domestic Undergraduate Students
- International Undergraduate Students
For the Spring Waiver the following students enrolled in 6 or more credits must complete the waiver or enroll in SHIP:
- Newly admitted domestic and international undergraduate students
- Newly admitted domestic and international undergraduate transfer students
- Returning domestic and international undergraduates that were not enrolled in the previous fall semester
After the initial Spring semester, the Fall waiver must be completed every academic year.
Please Note: newly admitted students will be able to complete the waiver after they have registered for classes.
How do I Waive SHIP for the Academic Year 2022-2023?
2022-2023 Insurance Waiver
To Waive 2022-2023 SHIP:
An approved waiver must be completed by September 15th 2022. Students that have not completed the waiver by the aforementioned date will be enrolled in SHIP and the premium fee will remain on their tuition bill.
Please Note: newly admitted students will be able to complete the waiver 2 business days after they have registered for classes.
You will need your school UID number (not the actual card) and an electronic copy (jpeg or pdf) of your current insurance card.
Log in to the system by using the following:
Login - UMD ID (ex: 111234567) Not your directory ID
Password - Date of Birth in MMDDYYYY format, unless previously changed (ex: 01011990).
Select the "SIGN IN" button.
On the home page, click the "WAIVE" button from the "I Already Have Insurance" section.
Enter your insurance information and attach the required documentation.
Select the "SUBMIT WAIVER" button at the bottom of the waiver form.
If your waiver was approved and you have been billed for SHIP, a credit will be posted to your account on the next billing cycle (minimum 10-12 business days).
How to know if my Waiver was submitted and Verified:
When your waiver is approved, you will receive an email confirmation email from AHP (please check spam and junk folders). If you cannot find your confirmation email, please call AHP at 1-855-850-4303
How do I Enroll in SHIP for the Academic Year 2022-2023?
SHIP 2022-2023 Enrollment
To Enroll in SHIP 2022-2023:
It can take up to 10 days for your enrollment to be processed and your Member ID to become available in the system. You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with your Member ID once it has been processed.
- Go to https://umd.myahpcare.com/enrollment.
- Log in to the system by using the following:
- Login - UMD ID (ex: 111234567) Not your directiry ID
- Password - Date of Birth in MMDDYYYY format, unless previously changed (ex: 01011990).
- Select the "SIGN IN" button.
- On the home page, select the "ENROLL" button from the "I Need Health Insurance" section.
- Read the Terms and Conditions
- If you accept the Terms and Conditions, enter your initials in the box and select the "OK" button.
For additional information or assistance, please contact Academic Health Plans Customer Service at 1-855-850-4303.
For Additional Information or Assistance
Please call Academic Health Plans (AHP) at 1-855-850-4303 if you need to:
- Confirm enrollment
- Obtain your Member ID
- Access your digital ID Card
- Update your mailing address or phone number
- Learn more about your health plan
How do I get my 2022-2023 Health Insurance Card?
2022-2023 Health Insurance Card
To get an electronic copy of your insurance card:
Please obtain a copy of your insurance card before your first appointment, Click here. For assistance via the phone, please call 1-855-850-4303.
SHIP 2022-2023 Rates
2022-2023 Premium Cost and Coverage Periods
|Coverage Periods||8/1/22-7/31/23||8/1/22-12/31/23 Grad Students Only||1/1/23-7/31/23||6/1/23-7/31/23|
|Open Enrollment for Undergraduate Students||7/15/22-9/15/23||Not Available to Undergraduate Students||12/1/22-2/15/23||05/15/23-6/30/23|
|Open Enrollment for Graduate Students||7/15/22-9/15/23||7/15/22-9/15/22||12/1/22-2/15/23||05/15/23-6/30/23|
For plan benefits and details visit https://umd.myahpcare.com/