Alcohol & Other Drug Education
The mission of the Alcohol & Other Drug Education program is to:
- Cultivate a campus community where students encourage and support each others’ health and wellness regarding alcohol and other drug use.
- Inform students of the ways alcohol and other drugs can impact their overall health and wellness (based on the Eight Dimensions of Wellness).
- Educate students on the signs of alcohol poisoning, bystander intervention techniques, how to respond in situations involving a medical emergency, and the Responsible Action Policy.
- Address misperceptions of alcohol and other drug use behaviors and trends among University of Maryland students.
- Increase student awareness of available campus resources for alcohol and other drug use issues or concerns.
The Alcohol and Other Drug Education program believes that, when students are provided with current and fact-based information about alcohol and other drug use, they are capable of navigating situations where substance use is prevalent and making decisions that reduce harmful consequences for themselves and their peers. Through peer-to-peer education and outreach, comprehensive programming, and by providing support and access to resources, the program empowers students to make safer decisions that will enhance their academic and personal success.
For more information on intervention services; such as counseling, the Healthy TERPS program, and/or Drug Testing, please visit Substance Use Intervention and Treatment.
Looking for an alcohol and drug education presentation or workshop for your classroom, student organization, residence hall, etc.?
The SUPER Peer Educators (formerly known as CHOICES) are a dedicated group of students, specially trained to provide relevant, engaging, and informative harm reduction-based presentations and workshops for your group (minimum 10 people). If you would like to schedule a presentation, click here to learn more. Click here to submit a request. Please submit your request a minimum of two weeks prior to the preferred presentation date.
Question about the Alcohol and Other Drug Education Program?
Please contact Madeleine Somers, Alcohol and Other Drugs Education Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- About the University Health Center
- Health Insurance
- Frequently Asked Questions: Insurance
- Clinical Services
- Mental Health Services
- Health Promotion & Wellness Services
- Student Involvement
- New & Transfer Students
- CARE to Stop Violence
- Faculty & Staff Services
- For Parents