Each academic year, undergraduate students meeting specific criteria must either enroll in or waive the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
For waivers submitted after 7/15/22:
If your waiver was approved and you have been billed for SHIP, a credit will be posted to your account on the next billing cycle (minimum 10-12 business days).
How to know if my Waiver was submitted and Verified:
If your waiver was approved, you would have received an auto generated confirmation email from AHP (please check spam and junk folders). If you cannot find your confirmation email, please call AHP at 855-850-4303
Who needs to complete the Waiver?
The University requires that the following students enrolled in 6 or more credits in the Fall, either enroll or waive SHIP:
- Domestic undergraduate students
- International undergraduate students
For the Spring Waiver the following students enrolled in 6 or more credits must complete the waiver or enroll in SHIP:
- Newly admitted domestic and international undergraduate students
- Newly admitted domestic and international undergraduate transfer students
- Returning domestic and international undergraduates that were not enrolled Fall 2022
After the initial Spring semester, the Fall waiver must be completed every academic year.
Please Note: newly admitted students will be able to complete the waiver 2 days after they have registered for classes.
Who cannot complete the Waiver?
- Undergraduate students taking less than 6 credits do not have to complete the waiver.
- International students enrolled in the Maryland English Institute, MEI, program do not have to submit a waiver.
How to Complete the Waiver 2022-2023
To Waive 2022-2023 SHIP
- Have an electronic copy of your current insurance card and your University of Maryland student ID.
- Go to https://umd.myahpcare.com/waiver.
- Log in to the system by using the following:
- Login - UMD ID (ex: 111234567) not your directory ID
- Password - Date of Birth in MMDDYYYY format, unless previously changed (ex: 01011990).
- Select the "SIGN IN" button.
- On the home page, click the "WAIVE" button from the "I Already Have Insurance" section.
- Enter your insurance information and attach the required documentation.
- Select the "SUBMIT WAIVER" button at the bottom of the waiver form.
NOTE: For additional information or assistance, please contact Academic Health Plans Customer Service at 1-855-850-4303.
Acceptable Plans to waive with:
- Employer-sponsored group plans
- Marketplace plans (Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum plans)
Not Accepted to waive with:
- Ministry cost sharing plans are Not Acceptable
- Liberty HealthShare
- Samaritan Ministries
- Aliera Healthshare
- Christian Healthcare Ministries
- Trinity HealthShare
- Solidarity Healthshare
- International Plans
- Travel Plans